Member Union Participation


Why Participation Matters

The United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America has existed longer than any other skilled trade because of its members’ willingness to organize and fight for the rights of all carpenters. The success of our union today depends on the participation of each and every one of our members. The actions you take today will have a profound effect on our Union tomorrow.

The Member-Union Participation program allows our carpenters to take part in highly visible activities that protect workers’ wages and benefits. Every active member of the NRCC must fulfill his or her Participation requirement by volunteering up to two days per calendar year in Council sanctioned events.

Membership Union Participation Program

Members will receive written notification of their randomly assigned Participation dates and the Locals will send each member a reminder call at least two days before the event.

Members assigned specific dates may choose another NRCC member to participate as a stand-in for a particular date and location. However, in the event the stand-in fails to participate in the scheduled activity, the assigned member will be held responsible for making up his/her assigned day.

Each member who fails to take part in this program during the calendar year will be charged a dues assessment. The assessments are not meant to be punitive, but are designed to underscore the importance of NRCC members coming out and supporting their Union’s activities.

The success of the Member-Union Participation program depends on all members becoming visibly active in Union events. Our visible solidarity will send a strong message to public and private interests that carpenters stand united in our efforts to obtain more work opportunities, protect our area standards, and increase membership for our Brotherhood. 

To find out where and when you can fulfill your MUP please call 732-379-6115.

You can always check your MUP status by following steps below: Go to c Enter your Union Number and Pin number. (If your account is not set up then the pin number is the last 4 digits of your SSN.) Scroll to bottom left. You will see your Union Event Participation. If there are 2 or more participations then you are complete for that year.


1       How long will I have to participate in each event?

The time depends on the location and purpose of the activity. Each event is only 1 MUP Credit, regardless of time and purpose of the activity. 

 2      How is my date determined?

The dates are chosen randomly through a computer program.

3      When and where do I call to get information for the location?

You will call the designated hotline number, which is located on your letter, the night before your scheduled activity. For Local 254 call 732-379-6115.

4      What do I do if I am late?

Because activities are pre-scheduled, you must give yourself ample time to arrive before the activity starts, otherwise, you will have to reschedule your participation date.

5      Can I complete my MUP prior to being assigned?

Yes, by volunteering prior to being assigned dates. 

6      What if it rains or snows?

Weather is taken into consideration. In case of bad weather, cancellations are determined at the time of the activity. If you are scheduled and the activity is cancelled, you will receive credit.

7      Can someone else stand in for me?

Yes. You can ask another member of the NRCC to substitute for you. However, if that person fails to participate, the assigned member shall be subject to the assessment if date is not made up.

8      I missed my date, can I make it up?

Absolutely, please call the hotline for the next available location.  You are only allowed to make up one of your two days assigned. You must attend at least one of your assigned dates on the specific date assigned. If you have missed your assigned date, failure to complete your second assignment will result in dues assessment per offense and possible suspension from membership as per Section 22 of the Council By-Laws.  

9      Can I serve my Participation when out-of-work and get credit for it?

Absolutely, cal thel designated hotline number, which is located on your letter, the night before. Be sure to sign in and get a receipt.

10     Is my New York City MUP accepted in NRCC?

No, your New York City MUP is not reciprocal to NRCC.

11     Am I required to participate in events that are a long distance from my home?

Council members can participate in any action throughout the council, not just in their home local’s jurisdiction, and receive credit for the day.

12     Is volunteering acceptable credit for my Participation?

Yes, upon approval from the Council/Local, you may get credit for your participation for volunteering in local community activities.

13     What happens if I do not participate at all?

Any member who fails to participate is subject to a dues assessment per offense and possible suspension from membership as per the Council By-Laws.

14     Why do I have to participate?

As a member, you have certain obligations to your union and we need the cooperation of all members to show our unity, build our market share and strengthen the union.

15     Are Retired Members required to fulfill MUP requirements?   

 All Members working more than 99 hours are required to complete two MUP’s in that year.

16     How is the assessment applied?

Each member will be assessed $500 in the calendar year. They will receive a credit of $250 which is applied to their assessment per MUP completed.